Saturday, March 1, 2014

Five Misconceptions I Had of Dyslexia




When parents first suspect their child may have dyslexia, and they ask me about testing, I often wonder if they have any idea what they are really getting into. My mind immediately goes back to the memories of those days of frightening confusion when I didn't know what was wrong or what to do. So much research I had to do on my own because there simply wasn't a good way to get testing or help... for quite awhile, I didn't even understand what I was dealing with.

Now, when I talk with parents about what dyslexia is, I can see right away that their previous misconceptions about it are being blown apart. There is an intense, hopeful interest mixed with fear on their faces..... "Could this be it?"

Learning about dyslexia and how to help a child dealing with it can be very overwhelming! I thought I'd write about the five most prominent misconceptions that I faced when I began this journey with my 8 children, starting 14 years ago with my first child who had been struggling in 4th grade in the public school system.

1. Dyslexics write their letters backwards.

First misconception for me was that I thought having dyslexia meant my child would write letters backwards.... but my oldest son never did. Most of my kids did occasionally, but it wasn't a persistent problem with all but one. Some kids are more visual-spatial and have difficulty remembering orientation of their letters when writing, but they do not see letters backwards, moved around, nor read them incorrectly.... Out of all my 8 kids who, so far, have had some degree of dyslexic tendency, the child who wrote letters backwards the most does not actually have dyslexia.

2. Teachers would've recognized my son's dyslexia in school and would've warned me.

Second misconception for me was that I thought teachers were trained to understand how to spot classic dyslexic tendencies..... but, they are not. This means children who are not severe will often get overlooked in the younger grades. They may recognize a child is below average in their ability to achieve in their reading class, but as long as they are making progress, those children are not often screened for dyslexia or other learning problems... the children will suddenly start struggling in school around 4th or 5th grade because the vocabulary gets larger and more abstract, and now their underachieving is often seen as a "behavior" problem. I can't tell you how many times I heard, "If he would just do his homework, he'd be fine." That was not really true.... he was doing his homework, but we were going through hell every night to get it done.

3. Schools would use correct teaching methods to teach my children to read.

Third misconception for me was that the schools understood the importance of teaching children to sound out words using explicit phonics .... but many schools teach sight words... for a child who has a dyslexic-prone brain, learning sight words at a young age is like a death knell for being able to learn to read well. The way my son was taught to read in school actually reinforced his dyslexia. No amount of help that the school could offer my son would have actually helped because they weren't using a proper method. As long as preschools and kindergartens are insisting on teaching young children sight words before they actually learn to decode, you will always have some children developing dyslexia.

4. All we need to do is get tested, and then we can get the help we need.

Fourth misconception for me was that if we discover the problem and get a diagnosis, then we can get therapy. Every place we looked for private help was prohibitively expensive. Most testing was around $400-600 when we looked into it, but it is even more expensive now. And most therapy is thousands and thousands of dollars.I remember feeling like my children's education was being held for ransom. The "solution" is to test through the schools, right? That is "free." So, they say.

The trouble is, if your child is only mildly dyslexic or has developed certain coping mechanisms, then that child will not test as "dyslexic." I can't even begin to tell you how many people have told me their children were tested, and before they could even say it, I would say, "Let me guess, he's borderline." That is the diagnosis they give for a child who isn't severe enough to receive therapy. (Remember, the school has to PAY for the therapy if the child is diagnosed!)

They might suggest some helpful tips, etc. and depending on how the child learns to cope and if he has parental help at home, he may eventually do well in spite of school, but many children never get the help they need because they were just "borderline." To me, that is like being "a little bit pregnant." If you have dyslexic tendencies, you need to be taught like a dyslexic. How many kids are continuing to struggle in school because they were borderline and were simply considered "underachievers?"

We did find a way to do private testing, and the Lord provided for the cost of therapy, so we did not go through the school, but I have had so many people tell me the same story after they sought school testing. If that is the only way you can get testing, be mindful what the results are saying and not saying. It doesn't mean your child doesn't need help if he is "borderline."

5. My child will never be able to succeed!

Fifth misconception for me was that my children were doomed. Even with homeschooling, trying to work through each subject each year was so challenging, and I constantly worried about whether I taught enough or whether they were capable of learning enough. I wondered if my oldest child could ever go to college (which is something he very much wanted to be able to do.)

What a blessing for me to find out that dyslexic children tend to be highly gifted! They have creative, intelligent, spatial, engineering, inventive, amazing minds. A therapist for dyslexia once told me that because of their intelligence, many children who were behind in school as children will excel as adults. I have actually seen this with family members, but also it is quite common in history. Albert Einstein who is considered one of the most intelligent men to have lived was probably dyslexic... as was Leonardo Da Vinci.... many actors, many artists... many successful businessmen!

The academic standard of success is actually quite faulty, and having been an overachiever myself where academics were easy for me, I would have continued to use this faulty measure if it hadn't been for my brilliant and talented children who struggled with their academics. I have had to undergo a paradigm shift in how I think about education and success. This was a good thing to learn!

I saw such a change in my own son when he finally received the proper tools to help him decode words. His reading comprehension soared, and he, who struggled to finish homeschool high school, was able to go to a community college and get an associates degree in computer programming... he was on the Dean's List three times and received academic recognition at one point. He loves to learn on his own now, studying Shakespeare, learning about history, learning how to write better, and is teaching himself Italian... Believe me, I NEVER saw that coming when he was a child!

Dyslexia is a gift! 

I learned that dyslexia is truly a gift, which only makes sense, since God is the One who created these amazing minds! I have learned SO much over the past 14 years since I took my son out of the public school system and began to teach him myself. I am thankful for what I have learned, as I have been able to encourage other parents of children who learn differently. I have been able to learn how to streamline the ways that I teach my younger children so that we are having success in learning to read without much difficulty, though on a different timetable from the academic world.

We have learned how to take into account their relationships with God and others, looking at their character built from hard work, and THEN looking at how they are doing with learning. Their relationships and their character are often a much better standard of measure for success.

I am thankful for my children's creative, intelligent, dyslexic minds!

Under His Wing.....


8 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this and putting into words what others may need to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for posting this information that comes not only from your heart but also from your research & life experiences. Our children are all precious & so often those with special needs are not diagnosed at all or are classified as "problem children". You for sure have helped many by writing this post & I thank you for that! I admire your determination to make the public & the schools aware of these children who are precious, intelligent & important members of society!! Thank you & keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for posting this! Was there a specific program you used to help your son learn to read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Jordan, I have used many different programs as I tried to figure out what worked best for my children. Three of my sons were tested, diagnosed with dyslexia and received therapy through a place called Dyslexia Institutes of America... the cost was high, but God provided a situation for us to be able to get the therapy. Through that I learned a lot about what it takes to teach a child with these issues. That therapy is no longer available in my area.

      As our time with that therapy ended, a friend suggested I read Spell to Write and Read, and that is the program I have been using ever since (for my last 5 children.) There is a learning curve to understanding how to teach the material, but once you learn it, it is very easy and little teacher prep to use. There are also other programs out there but this is my favorite one, after spending lots of time and money trying to find something that works, it has not disappointed me at all.

      What I tell people is to make sure the child who is struggling learns the phonogram sounds and learns to sound out words... that is SO important... If they read by sight and can't sound out a word, then they also won't learn how to sound out a multi-syllabic word, which means as they get older, they will struggle more and more to read and comprehend as their vocabulary words get larger and larger. The words become too large to memorize by sight.

      Spell to Write and Read is my favorite because it teaches a child, early on, the sounds of the phonograms (72 in this program) and teaches the child from the beginning how to break down syllables and sound out words and spelling them from auditory and visual cues. I have been very happy with the results of using it with my youngest three, in particular, as it has helped two of them learn to read very well, and the youngest is following the same path.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your reply. My son is dyslexic and he is currently being tutored using the Seeing Stars program by LindaMood Bell. We are just at the beginning stages of all of this, but so far he is responding well to this program. I am however still learning and always wanting to know about programs that are working with other children and come highly recommended. I'm so glad to hear this is working for your children. Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

      Delete
  4. Oh, yes! We started out with that program, and my oldest son was first tested by Lindamood Bell, but I wasn't able to afford their therapy program, which is why we had to find other resources. However, I did use their materials myself for the first year, and it was very helpful. Glad you have found something for your son as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After researching dyslexia and the tendencies associated with it,
    I am fairly certain my 7-year-old son is dyslexic. He has been receiving additional help in school through an IEP since kindergarten and is making slow but steady progress. Before he was placed into the special education program at school, he went through a series of tests and their diagnosis was that he had a "learning disability." Nothing has ever referenced dyslexia. Do you feel it would benefit him to go through an actual dyslexia testing? The only advantage I can see is that it would help his educators know how to help him learn, but I am doubtful that they are even knowledgeable in teaching methods for dyslexic children. Advice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a homeschooler, it is harder for me to know how to make recommendations for a student still in school. My first recommendation is to learn all you can about how to help him yourself, even if you can't homeschool, because he will always do his best with parental involvement no matter where he is educated. I mentioned above the Spell to Write and Read program that I use, and I think it is the most logical, but it does tend to work a little against current teaching methods in school which might be frustrating for you or the teachers, but it still might be worth learning about it because it is good information.

    When it comes to private testing, if you can afford it and can find it available, it may be helpful, but I think the schools do not change their IEP based on an outside diagnosis (I could be wrong on that.... I'd find out first....) It is a frustrating situation, to be sure.

    What I have told people is to get testing if it will bring help, but if you can already see certain weaknesses and learn how to help, you may not need testing. I would pray a lot about what is the right avenue for your son. I wish I could be more specific, but it is so different for each child. Educate yourself as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting.