Thursday, June 21, 2018

A Living Sacrifice





According to Facebook, I wrote this two years ago today, June 21. Probably, it was meant to encourage a young mom... I actually don't remember writing it. I admit I'm even a little surprised that I COULD write it... It ministered to my heart today, seeming SO relevant at the moment...

There are times when I see young moms struggling with their younger children,  and always the words "living sacrifice" comes to my mind. I want to ask them if they realize that their living sacrifice is seen by God and it delights Him.

I once read that a woman asked Dwight L. Moody advice for how she could serve. His reply was something like, "Focus on evangelizing the heathen in your arms...."

It had an impact on me. It gave me vision. It is harder to keep that vision at times.

Even at church, I've experienced having someone ask me about my calling, and when I've mentioned motherhood,  received, "Of course,  but what else?"

 Oh, my... I often haven't had time for much else..... but I've learned there are seasons in a woman's life, and we aren't meant to live all of them at the same time.

I think it can be so hard in this day and age of global communication to focus on the most important ministry we are given as mothers. It doesn't mean we ignore other needs, but it does mean we can focus on the most urgent need on hand, and trust that the Lord will guide us in this and any other need He brings along.

In this day and age when there seems to be every advantage and opportunity to do more and more, it is a great discipline to do LESS..... and focus on one important task.

 We, as women, who are more likely to multi-task and manage many aspects of life, are also more inclined to compare ourselves to others and struggle with not feeling "enough."  We see snippets of other women's lives, and we see them as superheroes accomplishing so much, while we might be just trying to get our child to tie his shoes or to remember to flush the toilet.

The most sacred moments,  though,  are the ones lived out in the mundane.  The discipline of loving and nurturing and forbearance all happens in the moment by moment of sacrificial living with family.

 As we make choices,  big and small, we teach the next generation how life works. We show them whether our faith impacts our world,  or not.  We show them the meaning of relationship.... or the lack of it..... we teach them the impact of grace on our lives and what it means to forgive. ..... or we teach them how harsh this world really is...

A well-lived day in the life of a young mother and her children can teach them more theology and philosophy than years at a university. Through her, they can see that small actions, kind words,  and firm, loving discipline can make the world a better place.

Sometimes,  less is more.... and more than enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting.