Friday, July 12, 2013

Sing a Song to Me....Sing Me MY Song!



 Taking a short break from my wedding story.... just to add this bit of musing to my blog... it is really a FB status that sort of exploded into a blog post..... ;-)

 
          Sang to my three youngest before bedtime tonight.... when they ask me to sing, they always say, "Sing my song when I was a baby...." I don't really have a different song for each one...but they think I do.

          "Masterpiece" by Sandi Patti was a song I learned before I got pregnant for my first child, so I have sung it to every baby in utero and as new babies. I have sung it to my niece and nephews and many of my friends' babies and even babies I cared for as a pediatric nurse or while babysitting. It is my favorite, I guess.

              My older boys' favorite songs were Disney songs because that is what I sang to them: for Jordan Part of Your World, and for Nathan, "A Whole New World," but then I was saved and my songs changed to hymns and Christian contemporary songs.

           Zach's was "My Life is in Your Hands" because his birth was so evident of that very thing.... Caleb's and Matthew's song is "Little Boy on My Knees" with words changed slightly for each. Sarah's song is "Amazing Grace" (since her middle name is Grace) and Bethany's is "I Have to Believe" by Rita Springer because it was a song that got me through a hard time when she was a baby. And, now Abigail's is "Masterpiece", I guess because for now at least she is forever my baby.... I did sing a lot of "All My Tears" when she was a baby, too.... a good "grieving" song.. .since I was grieving my sister when she was born.....

             I think it is a good sign that even my teen boys and adult sons still like to hear me sing....there was never a time when they said they were embarrassed by it, and even their friends who heard me sing (because I often do not censor myself in the car, LOL) also liked to hear me and told me so.

              But, I feel like there is more strain as I get older....harder to hit the higher notes and make it all sound pretty...... wondering if I should make a recording for them... in case, something happens and I can't sing to them anymore? I, especially would like to have recorded the psalms for which the Lord has given me tunes to sing .... I'm the only one who knows them. Hmmmmmm....... 

               I think of this a lot since watching my video of my sister's song for us on our wedding day.... we have the only video recording of her singing.... she hated to record her voice, even though it was beautiful. She lost her ability to sing almost a year before she lost her life. I think her voice is something her husband and children miss. I know I do. Missing someone's voice is one of the hardest things, I think.....

                So, now I wonder what would be the best way to make a recording?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting.