Wednesday, February 27, 2013

When Sisters Are Friends.....

            Since I put my sister's poem on my blog yesterday (see: A Precious Gift from My Sister ) I realized this morning that there was no reason why I couldn't also put the poem that I wrote for her on it... it is my favorite poem out of all the poems I have written. It was one of those that came very quickly..... one moment I was thinking about the words, "when does all the pushing and shoving turn into loving...." and the next moment an entire poem was written. I think I only changed a couple words after the initial writing down.... If you don't know what I mean, you probably don't write anyway... LOL.... It is an inspirational, God-thing.... :-)

            I wrote this poem for my sister when she got married in 1994. I was her matron-of-honor, and planned a bridal shower for her. I wrote this poem and had it framed  as my gift to her. I also put a copy of this into her casket at her funeral.

            Just as I recognize the poem she wrote me as a great gift, I also recognize my ability to have written this poem as a great gift. I have no regrets about my relationship with my sister.... I loved her very much and she loved me.... and we both knew it! What a blessing to know love like that!

When Sisters Are Friends
by Jennifer A. Mull

Tell me, was it love at first sight? 
I don't really remember-- I was only two.
     but, what could we do? 
The Lord put us together, 
     through happy times and strife, 
You've been my sister all my life...

We shared a lot in those years of growing up, 
Our room, our toys, our clothes,
     the pretty spoon and the pink cup.
We shared many memories....
     of Christmas pageants, fashion shows, 
     rollerskating in the basement, 
late night stories, and indoor caroling, 
     only we understand the sentiment.

Later it was marching band and high school plays....
Sometimes I still miss those days.
We played together, sang together, 
danced together, and laughed together.

Of course, we fought, too.
Sisters do.

We weren't always willing partners
     in the shared life we were given, 
But isn't it funny how time flies? 
When did all the pushing and shoving
     turn into loving?
I haven't a clue,
But I'm glad it was you.

We've both had other friends, 
     but this is so different; 
It never has to end
     When Sisters are Friends.

Under His Wing....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting.